CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Memories of Aunt Marie

My dad and I have been reminiscing over our memories of Aunt Marie.

The first thing I remembered was all the help that Aunt Marie gave me when I was working on writing about my grandparents for a class project. JT and Marie had me come over to Judy and Jan's house in Mesa when they were down from Vernon and told me all kinds of stories about my grandparents. This memory reminded my dad of when my grandfather's brothers and sisters got together at the hospital to talk about their childhood--and Marie was sharing all kinds of stories. The biggest thing I will always remember is that Marie was a storyteller.

We remembered a lot of things from family reunions. Like the year we won the current syrup that Marie had made with the currents from the lower ranch. It was the best syrup we have had in a long time. Or when she made crocheted dishcloths for the family raffle and someone said if they won them--they wouldn't use them as a way to honor Marie. Marie said if you aren't going to use them, then don't try for them. She had made them for someone to use. :)

And then Dad starting talking about some of his memories of Marie from when he was younger. Marie used to scold my grandpa because Grandpa wouldn't stop in Welton when he was taking Grandma, Dad, and Shirley to California on vacation. But the family only wanted to drive through the desert and Welton at midnight--so they didn't think Marie wanted a midnight wake up call. I am not sure that argument ever worked for Marie, because I remember her commenting on the fact that her brother wouldn't stop to see her when he drove through her town. :)

I hope our memories bring a smile to everyone, and I encourage everyone to share their own memories of Marie--maybe even some of the lurkers out there?

5 comments:

dad said...

Iremember Marie and her girls making rolls and bring them still warm down to the ranch during roundup.

Jen said...

Sadly I don't have too many personal memories. I just remember stopping to visit every time we came up to the mountain.
Very sweet post!!!!!

Kempe Naegle Nicoll said...

This isn't my first memory of Aunt Marie but one that I really appreciate. Back in 2005 when Uncle Kenneth passed, we were all up at the ranch for the reunion. That Fast Sunday Aunt Marie bore her testimony in the Vernon branch. She mentioned that once she heard that Kenneth had passed, her thoughts and concerns turned to my dad (John). She said that she wanted to make sure that he was okay. This was special to me because I know that many of my dad's older siblings had much of the responsibility to raise and care for him when he was young. Even after all these years, Aunt Marie continued to feel the need to "care" for my dad.

Russ said...

Thank you for the memories shared about Marie. I enjoy anything I here about our family.

andrea said...

I'm another one that doesn't have a ton of memories, just because I didn't grow up with a ton of contact with the extended family. I always appreciated when I did visit with Aunt Marie though, that she always made it a point to talk to me and make me feel cared about and not "forgotten about"! I wish that I could've taken more advantage of her storytelling and memories of her parents. My dad was NOT a talker about his early days, so I really feel like things are sort of missing, as I don't have a whole lot of his recollections of parents/growing up. I always have enjoyed hearing about that from his other siblings when they have gotten together.

I so appreciated she and JT and family coming up to UT for my dad's funeral. That whole week is such a blur to me, but I remember so much how I appreciated all the extended family that gathered in support of us. That's what family is for!