CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 24, 2009

Nicoll Beans

For anyone who is interested in DC's (and later Casper's) beans--the secret is in the spices. And no they did not measure their spices in tablespoons and teaspoons--they knew by sight how much they needed. They put the spices in the spoon and then stirred the spoon into beans. Below is a picture of what the spoon should look like.

Before:


After:

My cousin Jen made an excellent point--I failed to identify the spices. It is garlic, chili powder, pepper and salt. :)

To help answer my cousin Andrea's questions--even though she did not come to the family reunion--The beans are pinto beans. We used 2 cups. Clean them, wash them, soak them overnight. The next day drain the soaking water, cover them with water and put a smoked ham hock and some chopped onion. DC and my grandpa had done it with salt pork as well--but you would need to soak that overnight to get some of the saltiness out of it. Cook on a medium low heat for about 4-5 hours--the longer you cook them the softer they will get. Beans are always better the second day.

Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think I know them all except for the yellow one.
Is it mustard??

andrea said...

Okay....I'm going to prove how dumb I am right now.....what kind of beans, how much of them, and how do I cook those? and do I add anything else to the beans, like onion?

bradi said...

I'm trying these out! You could use a mix of beans too, right?