CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grandma would have been laughing at me...

Anyone who knew my grandma knew that she had this thing about being early for everything. To be on time was to be late and to be late...well lets just say I did not do that.

And this philosophy also applied to taxes--get them done early and get them turned in early.

And usually that is what I do, but this year that did not happen. This year we had trouble getting Corey's W2 forms so we had to wait. We did not get them until April 10 so we did not get our taxes done until April 15.

But I thought no problem--the post office is always open until midnight on April 15. And that is where my plan went horribly wrong. The budget cuts meant that in the valley there were only 3 places open after hours--Peoria Sports Complex, Phoenix Muncipal Stadium, and the main post office in Phoenix. Dad agreed to take me down to the post office in Phoenix--but he forgot his cell phone. We get there and the line of cars are at least a block away in each direction. There are people parking any where they can find along the side of the road to walk their taxes in to the post office (there goes the theory that everyone does them online). After trying to figure out how to get around to where we need to be, we decide that I am going to get out and walk and Dad is going to drive in a set path so I can find him once I get them dropped off.

So I had to walk a little over a block--did I mention that it was chilly for Arizona and I also forgot my jacket or sweater. And by the time I walked back the traffic was so bad that Dad had moved about 5-8 car lengths from the time I left. It was insane.

So yes I have to admit that I have learned my lesson and Grandma won't be able to laugh at me next year because I am going to get my taxes done early.

3 comments:

Janquilts said...

TWO words:
TurboTax and E-file!

Erin & Matt said...

Wow!! I agree with Jan! Thanks for sharing, now I'll definitely never wait til the 15th! Ha!

Julie Barnes said...

I had no idea the post office would be that insane on tax day... but you made it through :)